kbkindle

epoxy on crankbait bills

Just put a small amount of epoxy on the back of the lip and push it in the slot. You do not need alot of epoxy on the lip to get it secure. Don't forget to put your holes in the back corners of the lip and get the epoxy into those holes with a toothpick. Get it in straight and level. If the epoxy really builds up on the nose and chin from slidding it in, then wipe off the excess with your finger. If it did not then leave it alone. Let it dry. Then if there is a deep slot on the side fill in alittle epoxy in the slot and let it dry. Now.... if you use devcon for a clearcoat, put some devcon on the brush and start about 1/8 inch from the nose and put the brush down on the top of the lure and gently push forward on the brush and push the devcon over the nose and onto the lip. You can control how much devcon gets on the lip this way. Then start brushing back towards the tail smoothing everything out. Do the same when you get to the chin. You want some devcon on the lip. This really helps to seal the lip in place. When you clearcoat the entire bait with devcon, then the devcon that you first put the lip in place with and the rest of the clearcoat become one solid piece. I have never had a lip loosen or pull out in 7 yrs. doing it this way.

Skeeter

we install lips after painting.. as for epoxy rough the lip thats installed in the bait. another way is to drill and install 2 brass brad pins from the throat holding the lip in. our lure also have the pull screw passing thru the lexan lip. its never overkill for toothy critters.

hey kb kindle here i sure do thank you guysfor the info. if it was not for this site i dont think i would be making lure's and i love it just started to late in life. but the people here on tu are the best. i have been on other sites and trying to learn and ask questions was like pulling teeth every one on tu is willing to share there knowledgethanks again kb