kbkindle

kb's ? on store bought wood lures

i got some roundbody balsa lures from jan's when i cut out my own lures i can cut bill slot when lure is still in a square block and get it straight but have no clue how to cut out lip slots in the allready round bodys some one said to make a jig does any one know how to make such a jig i sure dont kb

I have no problems cutting on the band saw using this method. I mark the cut I want to make on the V block I’m using if free handing or use the miter; then cut through the V block into the lure. The V block being flat on the table stabilizes the blade during the cut. If I have concerns about holding the lure securely while cutting I’ll line the sides of the V with double sided tape to help secure the lure in place.

Yeah, Dallas I can picture that working pretty well. For some reason I don't recall ever trying it with the bandsaw with the V groove jig. I've used the same thing with bait and v-jig clamped to a table surface for weight drilling.

That got me thinking....you mention the double tape. You could glue or staple rubber (such as bicycle inner tube) into the V groove. Or even glue down some rough grit sandpaper. Something like that will help give it grip and be reusable since it won't pick up grit and sawdust. Or just rip up the tape and replace as I assume you do.

Also, you could drill four holes (two on each side) near the edges of the groove. You could then loop wire, strong rubber strips, etc to tie the round body to the jig.

One guy showed a nice jig setup for doing this on the table saw. I can't recall if it worked with round baits, tho.

I cut the lipslot with a handsaw, while the square body is clamped in a vice. Although I cut it very straight, when inserting the lip I sometimes see that the slot is not straight. So I correct it, using sandpaper which is glued or not on a thin piece of steel blade, grinding more to the side which needs to be sanded. It' either top right together with down left, or viceversa. You just have to feel how much presure you have to apply to correct the slope, and also you have to feel the right angle for sanding.

I think this method could be applied in the case of round bodies as well.

Also, think of having a loose lip in the slot, so you can adjust the lip while gluing.

Doomdart,

I have read about but never tried using sand paper which I’m sure would word as well as the tape. Your mention of applying rubber to the sides of the V groove made me think of trying pieces of a rubber router mat which is designed to keep wood from slipping. Thanks for the idea.

Dallas