barry batchelor

Just dropped freshly devconned plug on the carpet

Keep alcohol handy for cleaning errant epoxy on tools or hands. You can actually wipe all the epoxy off a bait crumbs and all. It is usally better for me to take it down to the paint than to double up on the final coat. Just dont rub too hard as you can take the paint off if you rub too hard. No big deal just a quick wipe with wetted rag.

I've never dropped one, but that is just a matter of time. I'll be thinking of all the above stories every time I epoxy from now on.

But, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to take the epoxy brush application advice, I normally use a spatula. The problem was, the only brush I had was my half inch that I use for the art work and I didn't want to risk that.

I found some felt material and decided to make a 'throw away' brush from a one inch strip and a masking tape handle. It really looked like it was going to do the job.

I did not take into account how sticky epoxy is. The resulting lure is called, 'Hairy frog' and hangs on my extensive 'wall of shame'.

Count your blessings. At least you had a chance at salvage if the baits under clear at the time it hits the deck.

Last summer, after spending about 6 hours painting, I was walking back from the garage to the house with 8 freshly painted baits hanging from a dowel rod.

I tripped and they hit the concrete driveway.

A cloud of profanity hangs over my driveway to this day.:censored:

I have been using alcohol swabs when cleaning up my fingers and cleaning excess epoxy off the dive lips. And I wipe down a lure with one before I clearcoat it because I just know I have handled it waaay too much with bare hands and oil is just laying all over it. I just squeeze out the excess alcohol then wipe it down gently, not much pressure. AND...I use that extra alcohol to thin Devcon. A 12"muskie bait is on the rack now and the thinned Devcon poured down the thru-wire holes nicely. Just bought another box of swabs for $1.30 and keep them on my desk in the wood shop.

Originally Posted by barry batchelor viewpost.gif

I think I managed to get most of the hair and crumbs off of it. I spent all day carving sanding and painting only to drop it on the carpet.:cry:

Barry, I couldn't help thinking of how lucky we both are: you being a bachelor, and me using other materials than epoxy to clearcoat (which could be quickly removed from the carpet, before my wife could see the catastrophic happening)

I had a slight....ummmm....mishap today.

I was getting down two musky jerkbaits that I had hanging up ready to package up and somehow one slipped out of my hands as I picked it up off the nail it was hanging from.

It dropped and one of the 6/0 mustads went through my t-shirt and into my abdomen! Fortunately, it didn't quite get past the full length of the barb and I took it out. I've already done the same thing before and had it go into my finger barb and all. WHEW!!!