Yake Bait

Air Brush Recommendations

Pete, airbrushes come in various types, at prices ranging from $20 to "the sky's the limit". I've used a simple Badger 200 and a can of Propel CO2, then a Paasche VL, and lately an Iwata HP. The best advice I can give you is to read many posts here on TU about airbrushes and make your own decision about which type suits your needs and pocketbook. Use the search feature to find them. The Paasche VL is a popular mid-priced internal mix brush. Paired with a decent compressor (around $100 for a tool compressor with regulator), you're in the $150-175 range. So it's not a cheap step up from spray cans but maybe worth the $$ if you want to get into more detailed painting with latex acrylic paints.

Keep in mind. Most $200 dollar and up airbrushes have too small of nozzles to spray acrylics.

So if you are spraying acrylics, make sure the airbrush that you purchase can handle the paint to be sprayed.

If you thin acrylics too much, they will lose their adhesive qualities... which arent that great to begin with. Comparing to Laquer.....

laquer of course cant be sprayed inside without some kind of ventilation system.

There is a huge difference between the $25 dollar airbrush and the $150.00 airbrush...jmo

Mike

Pete,

If you can afford it. buy am Iwata airbrush. They are great brushes, easy to clean and adjust and you can get one that will spray anything you want. I have an Iwata Eclipse side gravity feed that I do all my major spraying with. It has a .035 needle and I spray water based acrylics all day long and it very rarely clogs. I also have an Iwata Custom Micron SB that I use for all my detail work which is IMO the best brush out there. They are expensive, but in this category, you get what you pay for. I have owned Badgers, Paasches and Thayer and Chandler brushes, but once I used an Iwata it was the difference between day and night. Try this website and give them a look, these are the best prices I have found also. http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Airbrush_Main.html

Good luck

Rod