skeeter jones

The fine lines

I have a vulcan gun with MAC valve that is suppose to be the cheap version of a Iwata. So far the gun has performed well when I am spraying broad patterns. It has a fine needle(.3 or less) and it gets cloged when trying to make fine lines . I have seen that acrylic is not recommended for the small needle. Are you guys using lacqure to get the fine lines. I had some killer looking lures going last night and the fine lines killed my look.

Hey musky, I was trying to find out what type of paint you like to use in the guns like your's the Iwata hi-line,. The small fine needles tend to clog more with acrylic.

I not sure but I believe it was you who had a blue-gill posted here that mentioned the hi-line or a micro by Iwata. The vulcan has the Mac valve and I wanted to practice getting a fine line before I drop 399.00 in a gun.

When I posted it must be a secret I was hoping to get a response. I have been researching alot on my own and have seen some great work hear on this site I figure someone could tell me what paint works best. I got a response on another thread to use an extender. I need to know what type of paint and a brand for extender.

I take no offense Dan. Gramer was full French and made a killer pa'te de foie and rum cake.

It all depends on your paint and your brush. It's not so much acrylic versus enamel vs. lacquer, although that does seem to be true to a point. All paints have pigment in it. Many times, the more expensive paint has a finer mesh size of particles. So house paint is basically "chunkier" than craft paint which is chunkier than createx, etc. So for fine lines you want the finest particle size of pigment, whether the carrier is water or solvent. Now a better quality airbrush makes it easier to do a fine line. But practice/skill matters more. (not that I have either, but have seen some who do). Now, if you really want to get fine lines if you are a "normal" journeyman artist, it helps to use a .3mm tip airbrush. The problem is what I referred to above: Pigment size. a fine-tipped airbrush gets clogged with too big of a pigment, so you're better off with good paint like some automotive, Golden, com-art etc. A $400 Micron won't shoot cheap paint worth crap. A cheap generic would do better.

Yes the right viscosity is neccessary, but that also depends on type of paint and brush.

If you look at this link, it shows a bunch of manufacturers and the airbrush qualities, though it is a 2005 document.

http://www.airbrushaction.com/pdfs/airbrush_buyerguide05.pdf

Hope this helps you!

Clemmy

Thanks Musky and clem, that helped some. I have been playing with paints and mixtures. The vulcan is nice because I can adjust the pressure at the gun. Just cant find any parts. I bought it off e-bay and the home web site for the manufacture is under construction. Read on another forum the gun is not good for solvent based paints because of a seal problem. Not sure if I have a newer gun and the teflon seal.