Kozak

Treb Hooks and Split Rings

Another thing to remember is that the smaller the split ring the weaker it is, so you might want to keep this in mind if there's a chance you could encounter some bigger fish on heavier tackle with your particular lure. Also remember different size trebles will affect the way the lure sits in the water and its action, so you may want to try some different sizes before you order.

Dean

Agree with the above. For #6 and #4 trebles on bass baits, I use Size 2 split rings which are rated at 20 lbs. I only go down to Size 1 or 0 on a very short bait where tangling is an issue. The Size 2's will handle any bass and most stripers, pike and catfish. And I like 2's on line ties because I feel the larger diameter gives the bait a tad more freedom of action (not an issue with a popper).

In addition to the strength consideration is the weight consideration. Depending on the lure body (bouyancy, float angle at rest, etc.) then you can sometimes tweak the action a little by going with a larger or smaller split ring and treble. You want the popper to be heavy in the rear, but it is possible to go too heavy and still have it float. Too heavy will rise too slowly after a brief submersion. My two cents.