BanjoKat

Getting it Straight

Hello,

I turn several different shaped wooden lures with a lathe. When I try to drill the holes for the eye hooks in the nose, tail and the belly, as well as the holes to sink 3D eyes into, I have trouble getting everything to line up right. How do you guys do it?

Thanks in advance for the tips!

I use a small nail put in my dremel for the holes, the bit doesn't wander as much. Also a center punch for marking the locations is a must, I use an awl for this. I put the nose and tail eye's in first, turning the eyes up and down so that you can eyeball a straight line for the belly eye's. The 3d eye holes are marked while it is still in the lathe. Hold a pencil on it when it is turning to mark a perfect line around where you want the eyes. another way is to drill the holes while it still is in a squre block, but this way the eyes will be straight across from each other plus it is harder to make the bait on the lathe to exactly where the eyes are. I use the pencil method because I like my eyes a little closer to the top. I hope this helps.

This is just how I do it.