Dweller

Air Brush Shootout!!

What is everyone using to paint their Baits with? I am using a Paasche VL. I need something with a little more control with the water based paints. I have turned it high & low and thinned the paints, adjusted the needle & nossel but I am still getting some overspray. I noticed that some colors are worst than others maybe my paints are old? I am looking at a Bager or an Iwata. Please give me some feedback! The most I would want to spend is around $200. Has anyone used an Iwata HPC plus it is a siphon feed will my color cup from my VL fit it.

Iwata HP-B+. You'll give up some performance with a syphon feed brush. A gravity feed shoots paint at lower pressure and it's easier to clean. The HP-B+ has a good size reservoir for painting crankbaits. Squirt paint right into the cup and it will do 2-3 typical bass lures before you need to refill it. Much finer spray droplets and more exact spray pattern than the VL (hand tuned at the factory). Use only airbrush formulated paint - it has a tiny needle and tip. It's price point is well within your budget. I got one off Ebay. I still use my VL for basecoating with cheap paints but switch to the Iwata for all shading and details. I bought an Iwata to Paasche hose adapter from Dixie Art because I like the Paasche hose and wanted to avoid extra expense.

Do yourself a favor....go to the Dixieart site http://www.dixieart.com/ look and read all you can about the Iwata line of airbrushes, pick the one that will suit your style, and buy it. You will not be disappointed. Iwata brushes are what's happening this day and age. I have owned just about every make of brush out there, and once I used an Iwata I never looked back. True story! Super quality, easy to clean, easy to adjust and very little clogging.

Rod