Codgeman13

Newbie!!

Hey fellas,

I have been doing a lot of reading and decided last week to give crank bait making a go and found this site. I have carved my first bodies out of basswood. I only have the bodies made right now. I am thinkin about the wire through hook eyes, and line ties, but have no real clue other than the post about them how to do them. I have read some places that with harder woods you may not need them. Any suggestions on where to go from here. Thanks

With Bass wood I would go with the screw eyes. I would Drill a slightly skinnier hole in the wood then pus some Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy on the screw eye and screw it in. I think Bass wood is hard enough to use the screw eyes, but with wood like balsa wood its a must to make a through wire. Post some pictures when your done. Good Luck, nice to hear from a new maker.

Hardwood bass baits don't need through-wire construction and it's much more work than screw eyes or handwound ss screws. Just epoxy in the hangers, line tie and ballast. I use a piece of ss wire to plunge glue into the screw hole and also put some on the threads.