Coley

Lip replacement

I have to use my jigsaw. I don't have a bandsaw. It is still a very hard thing to do. I do it the same as Nathan. When I have custom work to do for a customer on one of his own personal wooden baits, then I use a dremel cutting wheel to cut the front of the lip off half way between the line tie and the nose of the lure. I shave the lip away from the front

of the wire so that I can pull it straight out and get it out of the way. I grind the rest of the lip to the nose and then use a very thin file that I have to take the rest of the lip in the slot out. It is time consuming, but I guarantee myself that I won't mess up the face of the lure or the slot. If the lip is installed with Industrial hot glue (like Bagleys) or Devcon, it is the only way you can do it safely and correct. On Rapalas and Poes you can take a utility knife and make a score around the top and bottom of the lip slot. Just enough to break the clearcoat seal. Then you can pop the lip out of the slot. But be careful because Rapala has a shaft that runs from the back of the lip straight into the body. This is how they line the lip up in the body when they glue it in. Once you break it free pull the lip straight out or the body could get damaged.

Skeeter