mark berrisford

Paint Adhesion Problem's

Hi All

I've recently made the jump from rattle cans to using an airbrush,the fist of undoubtably many problem's i'll encounter is this,i've noticed when shooting my base coat small patches that when dry crack and don't stick to the lure,is this because i'm shooting to thick a coat in certain areas of the lure?or is it an issue with the lure body?

I'm making lures out of beech/meranti sealing with sanding sealer,i then spray over using a rattlecan acrylic undercoat(i was thinking it may help bond the paint to the lure)then spraying the basecoat using medea opaque airbrush paint's

Thanks Mark

Yep, thick acrylic coating can crack, especially if dried quickly by a hair dryer. I shoot a white color basecoat directly over my waterproofing coat and then colors. JMHO, it's best to keep things simple. Adding other intermediate coatings or non-acrylic layers increases the possibility of having 2 layers of non-compatible chemistry wrinkle the paint job or fail to adhere properly.

BEZYB: Beside all the reasons mentioned-If your base coat is in any way glossy (should be matt) you will have trouble getting your colours to stick- when the colour dries it shrinks a tiny bit and if not adhering properly, tends to crack. Also, I think this was mentioned- The base coat should be totally dry, if not it will shrink on drying and drag and crack anything that is sprayed over it, a bit like a micro version of "crackle finish". hope this helps.Pete

Hazmail-the basecoat is a matt finish but i'll keep in mind about the drying times,thanks

Waterlogged-Thank's, i'm hopeing the airbrush will eventually give me more flexability with colours and shading and hopefully improve my bait's.i can make,weight and topcoat the lures but i feel the paint could be improved so that's what i'm trying to do

Mark

Hi!I add my share of problems with paint adhesion in the past!!!My problem was that my base coat primer was to dry!!??I use createx autoair paint and I was told that the primer coat add to be put on about 15 min. before spraying the first coat of paint!!!Curiously!!!It work's!!!So...It allways depend on what kind of paint that you are using!

Cheers,Dan