hazmail

Quick Lips

Hi Longball

Just went out to the shed and took a couple of close up's of the slot etc which includes the lower half of the punch "barrell".

As I hope you can see the punch passes past the slot which is where the cut is made. When the punch is raised and the sheet is placed fully into the slot. The punch is then driven down against the sheet, which in turn is forced against the lower edge of the slot (same diameter as punch here), this force causes the sheet to sheer off (in this case a circle). You would be suprised how easy it cuts sheet Brass, Aluminum, Lexan which are all about 5mm thick (not sure in " s). As I am sure you know, this is nothing new, it's just a die punch but instead of complicated shapes for lips I have made it round as it is easy to source and no huge cost in having a die made, I have been down that road with a die I had made for hook hangers. I think she divorced me around then!!

As I think I said in the previous post, if you shape the end of the punch the lips (not Lexan) will be bent to this shape also, it's up to your imagionation I suppose.

Hope this helps, if not, keep asking. See 2 x pics Pete

That thing rocks.

I'm with Riverman. I'd either hurt myself or catch something on fire if I ever tried to fabricate something like that.

Got any pictures of the lips? Are they done after you punch them out on that device or are there a few more steps before the lips are done?

I think that the lips he cuts are SS or light ga. aluminum. I don't know how that would work with lexan without cracking it. I have been trying to get a die that you could press into lexan but have had no luck with it. I hate cutting dive bills and I'm not as accurate as I need to be. A punch tool would be perfect, expecially if it was user friendly enough to allow for different designs. Lets keep this thread working so we can figure out something. I'm in.

Hi again "Longball"-If you look at Pic 1020178, that's how they come out-except for the small hole , which is punched later with a paper punch (for ring binders), I need to do this so the brass hook hanger frame can pass through the lip (see new pics). The lips in the picture are Aluminum @.5mm (about 1/50th inch in your measurements) and as you can see from the die I have ground a few angles and a centre mark to get curve and a reference point for when gluing the lips into the lure. I have used brass as well, with same result and just yesterday cut a couple of Polycarbonate ones @ 1mm (about 1/25") , no problem, except you will not get the curves etc, just comes out a flat disc. I have been using this for about 15 years on and off, the press has only been added in the last couple of years as I needed to cut them in the hundreds and I got sick of holding everything and trying to whack the punch with a hammer, sometimes missing. You and your mate, one feeding a 6' strip of Al or Poly in and one punching can make something like 100/ hr, if you paint the lips, just sand the strip before punching them and they are ready to go.

I think this may cut "stainless steel" but would maybe need a longer lever, as you would know, staino is hard and "work hardens" as you cut it, also you need to have quality hard steel in punch and die, that's why I originally went for the truck shock absorber shaft, it's chromed and nice and hard. If you want to make just a few, don't worry about the press part, just make the punch/die part put it in a vice, use a hammer and watch your knuckles. Pete

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

P1020233.jpg

P1020235.jpg

P1020236.jpg

2051_thumb.attach

2052_thumb.attach

2053_thumb.attach

Nice accurate work Pete. I like the last pics. If you say it will cut poly I will build one and test the tolerances. Have you only cut the disc shaped one? I need a couple different styles to punch that can't be fabricated from a round drive pin. Thanks for the info.

Longball- no I have only cut discs. If you want to square parts of it off, maybe you could cut a larger disc and square it up (or whatever) with a small gillotine or a large pair of sidecutters work well. I have all ways assumed Polycarbonate and Lexan were the same material, you said in a previous post you had problems with it cracking, have never seen that happen- maybe it's not polycarbonate (Laxan) after all. They say polycarbonate does not crack?? although recently I saw a sheet that had been hit by hail stones in a storm here and it was full of 1/2" holes, no real cracking though ! !pete