Mr.J.

1st post and a huge THANK YOU

In the summer of 2006 I had an idea for what I thought would be a better lure. So I began my reasearch on how to make a wooden lure and got my hands on tons of information but non of it compared to what I learned from everyone on this site.

I never posted a question because I was always able to find my answers using the search function.

I never answered another's questions because I was not qualified to do so.

Today pike opened in my area for the season and I went out with the lure I designed and handcrafted with everything I learned form this site.

I use poplar, I sealed the wood with the plastic/laquer thinner, I used craft paint sprayed on with a spray gun and I sealed it with envirotek lite. I only had a bath tub to test it during the winter so I really didn't know if it was going to work.

Well a picture is worth a 1000 words

normal_1%7E1.jpg

normal_2%7E1.jpg

Not a very big pike but to me she is the most beautiful fish I have ever caught and this was with a cold front rolling thru which usually makes the fishing incredibly tough

:worship::worship::worship::worship: THANK YOU to everyone on this site who has made me an incredibly happy man. Normally I wouldn't have such a happy look on my face for a fish this size, she was 28 1/2 inches long

As time permits I will return the favor and post some of the things I have learned thru trial and error and perhaps help some else experience something like this.

That is just absolutely outstanding, Mr. J. The expresion on your face says it all. And 'Thank You' for acknowledging the members of this site, it is not said often enough. Now go get some material to post a picture of that fish's mamma.

Feels good doesn't it. I have made jigs, and wirebaits for many years and it is enjoyable, but that is nothing compared to the sastifaction of creating your own crankbait and the thrill of catching your first fish on it

The first time I took it to the lake to fish (early March), I caught two small bass and a 6lb 14oz largemouth on it(I was instantly sucked into the world of the crankaholic maker) It also has a 5lb largemouth to its credit and numerous smaller bass.

I think the hardest aspect of making my own was learning to carve, shape and keep everything symmetrical.

I started trying my hand at crankbait making back in Oct 2006. TU was my go to source for anything that I needed to learn/know.

The members here at TU are very generous with their knowledge and ideas.

Their advice and tips kept me from giving up and saved me many hours of frustations as I tried to create what I wanted. Even with their help, it took me almost four months and 40 crankbaits before I made a lure that looked good and had the action I wanted (a very large waggle) it hammers!

Vodkaman, helped me to understand the xyz axis and the movements the lure makes around them. If I remember correctly, Those movements are called waggle, wobble and porpoising. Skeeter gave me the guidelines for line tow position on the bill. Jawjacker with advice on sealing and treating redwood. There were many other tips for making belly weights, hook eyes, bill slots and the importance of keeping everything in line.

Sealing, Painting, Clearcoating? There is an expert on this board for every phase of crankbait making. I hope one day to be of help to someone like us who is just getting their feet wet in this wondeful world of luremaking.

I now have two different lure designs my first one and last week I made a fat bodied crank which does well also. I doubt that I will ever buy another crankbait.

Many thanks to all of you for you here at TU for your advice and encouragment. Hmmmmmmmm wonder how long it will take me to make my first jerkbait!! ;)

JBlaze

Congratulations, Mr. J, and welcome to the boards.

There's something special about catching fish with something you've made with your own hands.

This board is also unique in a similar way. There is a comradarie here and one heck of lot of great builders. I've hung out here for several years and even now there is not a single week that goes by where I don't learn something new or a tip on how to do something better or easier. A lot of talent here, a lot of very smart people, willing to share ideas and shortcuts.

Congrats........:yay:

you just gave the best compliment by using the search feature. There might be different opinions here on the how to and what is the best....but you will find your own method that works the way you want it to.

Keep up the great work and start posting your baits in the gallery.

As Riverman said: can't wait to steal some of your ideas:lol: