fatfingers

Glass rattles for hard baits

Fatfingers,

I put rattles in many of my Musky baits and have used many different kinds. These are the loudest that are out there right now IMHO. I can't get the link up from ebay, but punch in P&P Super Magnum Worm Rattles. I put them cross ways in trolling baits and gliders and they work well.

Rod

Fatfingers,

They are about 1 inch....kind of long, but you can grind them on the belt sander to take them down a little. If I am putting them in a 3/4" to 1" wide bait I put them in at an angle. I usually use two rattles per bait. I had to experiment with the weight of the gliders because the rattles did affect the action until I reweighted them. They don't affect the action of my trolling baits at all and they are pretty loud. When I have my baits next to the boat and am trolling 3.5 to 5 mph you can here them under the water. Obviously they are not going to be as loud as a plastic bait with a rattle chamber built in, but they aren't bad.

Rod

Vince,

I just read this thread, and wanted to put in my 2 cents.

I've found the plastic rattles that are used in the rubber yoke of the Rattle Claw by Northland are actually louder than the same size glass rattle. I'm not sure if it's because the BBs are larger or what. These rattles are available separate from the rubber yoke at either Barlow's or Stamina, I can't remember which. CRS

They are about 5/8" long and 3/16" in diameter. I put one in the head, and one near the second hook of my glider baits.

Old School approach: Jus thinking about the glass rattles reminded me that for years here in East Tennessee crankbait makers would drill a small hole in the bait and insert the spent brass casing from a .22 short bullet with a couple of bb's inside. It was cheap, and has a unique rattle. Don't know if anyone still uses this tried and proven method. But it makes a great sound.