mark berrisford

between painting and topcoat

Hi Guy's

Having recently made the switch from rattle can's to an airbrush i,m finding a slight problem when i come to topcoat.so the question is do you put one of the clear seal coat's over the paint before you topcoat or do you topcoat directly onto the paint.i'm currently using medea airbrush paint's and e-tex as a topcoat,when i apply the first coat of e-tex it's leaving large spot's where the topcoat has been repelled and causing a very uneven finish later coat's of e-tex cover the problem and the finished article look's good,i didn't have this problem when using rattle can's

Thank's Mark

I think the spots where the Etex was repelled are "fisheyes", usually caused either by failure to wet out the paint at that spot when brushing or by contamination of the spot by an oily film of some kind (from your fingers or from an oil leaching through the acrylic pait from underneath). I topcoat directly over acrylic paint, and paint directly over an epoxy or prop weatherproofing coat without problems. If you use a wood that contains oil (redwood, cedar), you must waterproof with a solvent based product to prevent the oil from leaching through the acrylic.

i use beech or meranti and seal the baits with sanding sealer so oil from the bait shouldn't be a problem,on the next batch i'll try wearing rubber gloves when handling the baits to see if that cut's down on the problem,the other thing is the paint has something they call "lube"added to help if flow which could be another possible reason

Mark