borderbasser

? about weights

I'm trying to make a few wake baits similar to a slammer or a AC minnow and was wondering where you guy's best guess would be to place the weights in relation to the hinges to give the best possible action. In other words, would you place the weight in the center of each segment, forward of center, or rear of center for the best action. I have one in the works right now with the weights just rear of center of each segment and it seems to have a hard time making any "waggle" on a slow roll with that placement (at least pulling along in the bathtub) Do you guys think my weight placement has anything to do with that, or should I be looking to modify the lip or something? By the way the lip is a coffin style placed at about 12 degrees and the overall length of the bait is 10", with 3 segments and a soft tail glued to the rear segment. Just looking for a general starting point to start tuning the bait in for this type of bait to hopefully get a 1-up on the learning curve. Thanks all.

TJ

TJ. I have no experience of two part lures, but thinking about the theories of what is going on, I think the weight placement is causing you problems. My main concern is the weight in the rear segment. This is severely damping out the action. If I was designing the lure, I would first try all the weight in the front segment, just in front of the hinge and no weight in the rear segment.

Or, if you really want weight in the rear, group it all around the hinge on both segments. It is the same as grouping the ballast on a one piece body. If you spread the ballast too much, you kill the action.

This, in my humble opinion should increase the action, but it does have a down side, I would expect to have more casting problems as the rear segment flops around as it leads through the air. So, it depends on what you are looking for, lure design like design of anything is generaly a compromise of some sorts.

I would be very interested in other opinions, this is a learning opportunity for me too.

Sorry, I've had a re-think. The position of the ballast controls the centre of the 'X'ing action. So if the ballast is closer to the centre of the front segment, this will hold the centre of the 'waggle' action forward. The tail segment will then follow like a flag, resulting in an aparent 'S' motion. This will be aided by the vortices from the lip travelling down stream, adding to the tail action. Definately no ballast in the tail (for me).