bdhaeh

Has anyone ever tried......

using a woodburner to make the scale pattern before painting or foiling? I have not been happy with my attempts to make scales on any bait that i have tried, and have been looking at getting a cheap burner and maybe making some scale patterns for it. The only thing that I have done that came close to being realistic was foiling then individually drawing each scale with a dull piece of wire, but it was way too time consuming and not very consistent. It did make a nice raised pattern though.

I've considered sitting down and working out a series of larger and smaller scales on one bait by way of carving. It would take a lot of time with a dremel or a woodburner but it would improve one's carving skills.

If you'd like a shortcut do a search for the word "foiling" on this board. There are at least a half dozen fantastic ways to achieve a similar effect without carving or woodburning. Some are easier than others, but they all look great and make the bait more effective at fooling fish.

i made this from a brass tube connector. this one is 1/4 inch but you can get smaller ones. plumbing supplies, auto parts. make some kind of handle for it to suit you, i used a big rubber grommet. sharpen the end slightly with a file to cut into the wood. practice first and have bandaids handy:) fishlures088.jpgood easier.

fish lures 088.jpg

fish lures 088.jpg

fish lures 088.jpg

fish lures 088.jpg

fish lures 088.jpg

fish lures 088.jpg

fish lures 088.jpg

2074_thumb.attach