bamabass

iwata and acetone

Acetone can damage the needle packing in some brushes. Packing stops paint from migrating into the back of the brush. Many brushes now use Teflon packing that is more resistant to solvents. Depending on the age of you HP, it probably has Teflon packing too. I've occasionally run acetone through a new HP-B without noticable damage but prefer to use less volatile stuff like denatured alcohol, Windex or Createx 4011 reducer. They seem to work just as well for acrylic paints, but I can't speak to lacquers.

Well, for a first timer, why dont' you brush it on? From what I can see, most folks that use it here do just that. No prep time, grab a brush and go, either toss it when done, or clean it in acetone.

Dipping is just that, dunk it in there, pull it out, let it drip on the ground (my shed has a dirt floor), spin it for a few minutes and go. I dip because I think it gives a heavier coat, not checked or anything, it just gives me a bit of confidence in it, so that's how I roll.

All of dampeoples' suggestions are right on the money. I wouldn't bother spraying dicknite's through my main brush when you can get a single action external mix brush for 10 bucks or even less at harbor freight. I prefer brushing over dipping just because I can keep it off a lexan lip...just an aesthetic thing...

Dean

i contacted i wata about acetone in an airbrush they said

Hello,

An HP-C comes standard with solvent resistant o-rings. As long as you're not soaking your airbrush in acetone, or leaving acetone in the airbrush for long periods of time, you shouldn't hurt the o-rings at all. It is possible to get Teflon Needle packing o-rings for the HP-C. The part number is I 725 1 but the change out can be somewhat difficult. I usually recommend that you send the airbrush in to us and allow us do the change out for you.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I'll be happy to help you.

Adam Rice

Iwata-Medea

Technical Service

mailto:adamr@medea-artool.com

http://www.iwata-medea.com

hope this will help atleast one person.Also lets me know what my brush can do.

The paint I use is about 95% acetone. I spray it with my Badger Crescendo and have never had a problem with it at all. When I clean up I shoot 100% acetone. This may sound dumb, but I haven't had to break it down since I started using the acetone. I bought this airbrush about 1 year ago and it is doing just fine.

I did destroy my medium needle and head when I soaked it in Simply Green for about 2 weeks. Thats one of the things you just learn from experience.