CHUBBY

What The Heck Happened?

I've never used enamel but am guessing it didn't dry 100% before you put on the epoxy. I also assume you didn't thin the epoxy with a solvent, which might also cause trouble. There are various enamel chemistries and of course there are different woods. If you use an oily wood like cedar, you need to prime coat the raw wood with a solvent based primer before applying color.

I Did Use Devcon As A Sealer, And I Let The Paint Dry For 3 Days Before Applying The Top Coat, But The Paint Was Still Sticky.

Now I Just Put Top Coat On My Second Lure, And While Brushing On The Epoxy, It Ate Through The Paint And Smeared It! Not Gonna Use Rattle Cans Anymore. Oh Well...lessons Learned I Guess! Gotta Get A Air Brush Before I Do Anymore Painting.

Rattle cans are okay as long as you're very careful about using compatible paints, but sometimes experience is the only teacher for that. Spraying a pretty gold on top of a red on top of a white by the same manufacturer doesn't guarantee compatibility, and sometimes even reading the ingredients can leave you guessing. Incompatible paints was certainly the cause of your problem, CHUBBY. You don't have to worry when using Krylon's H20, paints exclusively, but that's about your only choice without learning the hard way about which paints you can use together without issues. One coat of unthinned Devcon 2-ton will coat any and all lure paints that I know of without a coating related problem, as long as the paints below it are compatible. The stickiness after 3 days was telling you that you had a problem.

An airbrush is certainly the way to go for paint and painting versatility, if you want your lures to be the best that they can be, not to mention easily eliminating paint compatibility issues.

Dean

I would suggest you use polycrylic or sanding sealer and do away with Devcon as your sealer. It's much easier to use and is more than adequate. In the first couple years I was building I coated literally hundreds of gliders with Devcon over rattle can paint without any problems. Be careful as Dean says about compatibility between paints. Make sure the paint and wood is dry before applying the final coats of Devcon. And finally, leaving any lure in a hot vehicle is generally not a good idea.

Jed V.