jrhopkins

paint theme suggestions?

If you are trying to imitate the golden shiner, then a silver scale with a green/brown back and pearl white belly is a better choice, imo. Lots of bait makers overdo the gold/black combo. In the wild, most shiners are more silver with a greenish back with a little gold on the gill plate with orange transluscent fins. Nice bait btw, i see that you got the 90 degree bend in the body. I am working on a 4 piece 6 in shiner bait that I should finish this week I'll post a pic when it is done.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to cut the sections, mine never turn out that well with a coping saw.

i use my table saw with a thin kerf blade. i lay the blank board or whatever you use (in this case it is PVC material )on the saw, set the blade to a 30 degree bevel and cut the slot almost through the board ( i generally leave about 1/8" )( you can hand cut this after carving the lure) for however many sections you want depending on the size of the lure. now go to the other end of the board and repeat the process. remember to make reference marks on the saw table to keep the sections the same. now cut the board in half, flip one end over and you have two halves with the cuts converging to the center of the board. i stick them together with 3M carpet tape and then carve the lure ( check the top view ). the sections are hinged using a continuos loop of string, in this case i used some Kevlar string about the same diameter as 15 lb. mono. you could probably use a good quality braid too.

I would just like to say that that bait looks fantastic! Just out of curiosity, what did you do different to this bait as apposed to your other one (trout pattern) to make it swim better without the lip? I remember you said the other one you pretty much had to "walk the dog" with it to get it to swim.

I think it would look great in a baby bass pattern.

TJ