bluefish

auto body base coat

Has anybody used car paint and clear coat for there lures?

I'm just getting into luremaking and use base coat and clear that i got from a buddy that owns a body shop. I use a high build auto primer and just dip my sanded lure in the jig and hang to dry,dry time is about an hour. I then airbrush with auto base coat (dry time about 5 minutes) between colors . I then use an auto clear an let dry for 2 hours. then it hardware.

The thing that i have is will the clear stand the test of time? Has anybody less tryed this process with good result or should i use a different clear?

Automotive paints and clear coats are nice, but there are some draw backs. One being the cost, the other being if you not careful cleaning your air brush you'll end up with a $60.00 Pasche in the trash, not to mention the isocyanates ( or how ever you spell it, ) that wreck your lungs. By far Devcon 2 ton epoxy is the easiest way to go, acrylics have come a long way to over the past couple of years. I hope this helps

Stacy