ernel

Max Depth?

I pulled a search for this info and all I got was some old stuff from back in '03 about c-rigging a smaller plug to gain depth.

What I am interested in knowing is if anyone is getting deeper than 25 feet with 8-10lb test mono? I have got 2 styles of plugs that I can get down to 19-21 feet using 8-10 lb test, but I need more depth. I am trying not to go lower than 8lb test just for my own nerves sake. (Fishing the trees that were washed into the channel during a past flood so I need to have a lttle bit of mono to work with after it hits a few limbs.)

One guy I sold a lure to says that he is catching smallies off of a ledge that tops at 24 feet, but I have yet to feel anything I have made hit bottom that deep. He says the lure is hitting the ledge when he gets the strikes. (He may be using 6lb floru, but I am not sure)

I am not asking for anyones secrets, just wanting to know if anyone is honestly getting below 25 feet on a cast. I don't troll so that is not an option.

Thanks;

Eric

Well, you can load any bait to sink and get to any depth you'd care to mention but floating cranks that actually hit 20 ft are pretty rare. Big Hot Lips Express at 22 ft, Brian's P24 at 24 ft (claimed), maybe a Sisson P20 at 20 ft (claimed). There are probably others. But I don't hear anybody claiming 25 ft for a stock crankbait. I can get an original Rapala minnow to 25 ft every time - tied to a 3/4 oz C-rig :)

I have a few cranking holes near a dam that are humps.The top of the humps are 23-25'.When I have to get on the bottom there,I always go with a Manns 30+ and 8lb braid.I use a different reel for that because I want a round baitcaster that holds a ton of line that I can cast a mile.The 8lb power pro braid and that bait gets me to 25'.It has the diameter of 1 or 2lb mono.Just be careful when grabbing the line or clenching knots as it is thin and cuts like a razor.

reef runners are deep diving plugs for walleye, but have caught a ton of bass for us. there a kinda curved minnow plug. they will dive to 18 feet on the cast. we have lost them at 35 feet trolling with 8lb fireline, like bassmaster1974 said you will need a lagre round baitcast like a calcutta or garcia.