petrading

How to make a hollow body lure with bead inside.......

All the Sifus (Masters) of UT,

This forum is so great, just like a gigantic lure library.......Been reading through for months.

Here myself, a noob, trying to get information of making a hollow body lure with bead inside, how to do it? I saw this thread from CrawChuck - Slip molds for hard baits tutorial really helpful & some other unmentioned threads.

A step by step tutorial would be great.

Here I wanna apologize for my poor english.........

Thanks alot~!

The way i've been doing it is cutting my bait in half, as perfect as i can. Then taking my dremel tool and cutting out a cavity, on both halves, of equal size, make sure its long enough and deep enough that the BB's can move in all directions Add the BB's and epoxy the 2 halves together. Be careful when epoxying the 2 halves together not to get any glue in the cavity or the BB's could stick. This produces a good rattle, not as good as the BB's being in a metal/glass container though...

Vman, thanks for the link. Im gonna give that a shot on my next lure.

I depends on the wood you're using. Balsa is a natural sound deadening material and it's soft so I just insert a pre-made rattle in it. There are more options for hardwood. Another method is to drill a hole through the bait, glue on a cap cut from a pop can on one side, insert the beads, then glue a cap on the other side. Pop cans cut easily with sissors. I cut a slight recess around the hole for the caps to fit into, then use wood filler to make them disappear. This creates a loud rattle as the metal caps act like drum heads just under the lure's finish. It is more labor intensive than inserting a pre-made rattle. A tip - when you put in the beads and glue on the 2nd side cap, keep the lure laying flat on a table and don't lift it until the epoxy has cured. You don't want beads getting glued if a bit of epoxy sneaks its way into the cavity. And use the epoxy sparingly. Don't worry - it will hold.

I just made a nice rattle. I used two 22 caliber shell casings. I drilled a hole through the bait. I cut the shells so one fit in each side of the bait. I used a steel BB from a number two shotgun shell as the rattle. The steel against the brass is very loud. The base of the shell sticks out a little, but no big deal.

Steve