wardsmit

adding bill to lipless bait?

Anyone experimented with adding a lip to rattletrap type lure? I have tried and it is interesting for sure. would not want to use in shallows as it tends to immediately go deep unless you move it very fast and hold rod high. But, as it is with any alteration or hybrid bait which you catch something on, gives you a feeling of satisfaction.

w

Wardsmit. Thank's for the PM.

The swim will be interesting because of the high eye location. This means that the lure will be 'lip heavy' and the water will force the lip back until the body balances the lip forces. In this case, the balance is reached beyond 90deg and the lip will be effectively trailing behind.

This is perilously close to death roll and I would imagine it gives quite a twitchy action.

Being close to death roll is not a criticism, in fact, to get the best movement, you have to flirt with instability.

This particular instability is the same as deep diving lures, where, if the eye is moved even 1mm too far back, the lure blows out.

Lets hope the fish find it as interesting.

it really is an interesting concept. Sorry I cannot take credit for the idea. Some years back I had a lure similar to this except it was a floater with a bill, so I tried this with a regular rattletrap type lure and enjoying the benefits. I tried altering baits that I was OK if it was a dud, of course. My only drawback on the first couple of hybrids was the rattle was in the nose and my bill made the rattle go away. Had to insert worm type rattle in body.

ws