spare tire

Musky bait not big enough

Hey guy's just thought I'ld share something with you.

I usually fish bass with topwater, but latley my buddy has been catching a few muskies with his spinner baits. I've also caght a 43" musky on a top water bass bait. I've seen the pics of some of your guys musky lure pics, and wow amazing. But I tried throwing some of those large baits myself and felt kind of stupid throwing something that big. Back to the story , we were fishing muskies with spinnerbaits and my buddy had a 30" + follow to the boat but it wouldn't take it , it just kept opening and closing it's mouth by it but never taking it in his mouth. About 3 hours later I was fishing with the same spinnerbait again and got a hit, it hit like a bass. I set the hook and started to reel it in . Thats when I noticed it was about a 50" musky on the end of my line. I fought him for awhile and got him close to the boat, my buddy went down to net him, and thats when the musky looked at both of us and spit out about a 12" bass it had complete in it's mouth. I still had the 12" bass on my line still alive with a little blood. I unhooked and released. Wow what a night just to see a fish like that.

So I'm hooked, big baits catch big fish.

sorry for the rambling, but you will be seeing some of my musky baits in the gallery soon.

I've heard that the optimum prey size is usually 1/3 of the length of a predatory fish so am not surprised a 50" musky would munch a 12" bass. Gues that's why you see musky baits as long as your arm :) and I'm assuming they're mostly trolling baits. Can't believe anyone could cast a 17" plug all day.

hi Guys!That is a interesting topic!!!and also very funy!!Hey vodkaman i realy like your idea of the lure called the WALLET!!!!!!!HAHAHA!!!A musky can attack a prey 1/2 of it's size!!!They can catch ducks!!! even some seagull a some times!!!A friend saw that one time!!So bigger the lure bigger the fish is a realety at some times!But not allways!I think that the perfect size for a musky lure would be from 8 to 12 inch!In those sizes you will still have a chance for the smaller ones(around 40'')and for the big girls also!!!(45'' over)" years ago I caught a 22 incher on a 11 inch bait!!!And a few weeks ago a fishing buddy got a 30 incher pike on a 13 inch believer!!!!Very masive crank!!!so yes!!Musky's likes it big!!!

Cheers,muskydan666

Big baits big fish !!!! Californians didn't believe that until about 10 years ago. I once caught a 17 pound striper 3 hours after a 1000 pound trout stock, (average size 8-12 inches) that had 6 trout in its belly when i cleaned it. It was after # 7 when it gulped my 10 inch popper. Always give the fish a chance to bite the big ones !!!

i have seem musky take a seagull. also have seen them hit large planer bioards. many times here guys reeling fish in lose there fish to muskies. but on days your fishing for them it can be lockjaw. truly an inspiring fish that can humble good fishermen. big baits small baits are all good. like ive stated before musky ugly is good. these fish rip lures apart

The story made me remember a fact which happened many years ago.

I was fishing in winter, on a frozen lake, using small fish as bait. There were many guys on that lake, which was full of pikes.

The guy not far from me, caught a nice pike, about 4 kg, and I went to see it. If I would not see it with my eyes, I wouldn't believe it. The pike had a small pike in it's mouth, about 250 gr., which was half out of it's mouth. When that small pike was taken out, another pike came out along, same size as the first, but this one was half digested, so only the last half, the tail one, came out of the mouth (or should I say from the stomach?)

So that pike had half a small pike in it's stomach, another small pike in it's mouth, half the way to it's stomach, and it still wanted to eat that small fish that the guy put in the hook. I repeat, I have seen all this with my eyes, otherwise I would not have believed it.

This story remembers me a joke.

Ivan Ivanovitch, a Russian fisherman, was fishing on a river, when he caught the small golden fish, which ask him to be released, and the fish would fulfill any 3 wishes that Ivan can imagine.

So Ivan Ivanovitch ask the fish that the river would be transformed in a vodka river. And so it was, vodka was flowing on the river instead of water.

The small golden fish ask Ivan to think of a second wish. Ivan then said that he would like that all the oceans, lakes and rivers should be transformed in vodka. And the small golden fish did make the wish come through.

Now the fish wanted Ivan to think of the third and last wish.

Ivan took a long moment for reflexion, then he said:

- Could I have another bottle of vodka please?