VANNDALIZER

against the grain.

Hmm...guess I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one. I like the end-grain at the top and bottom of the lure. I think it is much easier to keep the lure uniform while sanding the back and belly, as there is no tendency to follow the grain or create ridges when applying a light touch to fine paper. I also like cutting my lip slots against the grain with my scroll saw. I tried making some recently going with the grain, and while they turned out fine, I learned that I positively prefer cutting, and especially sanding and shaping, against the grain!

Dean

I work against the grain with balsa because I find that more material is removed per stroke. Because balsa is so soft, working with the grain just compresses the material and the softer material between the grain will be removed faster than the harder grain, leaving an uneven finish.

The second reason is that it really fluffs up the surface ready for the coat of epoxy. I will even scuff it more with some 150 grit emery. This gives an excellent key for the epoxy and because of the coat thickness, the rough finish is not evident.

Re: against the grain.

I work against the grain with balsa because I find that more material is removed per stroke. Because balsa is so soft, working with the grain just compresses the material and the softer material between the grain will be removed faster than the harder grain, leaving an uneven finish.

Vodkaman

Thanks V-Man!

That's the main thing I was trying to say, with that-- create ridges when applying a light touch to fine paper--

Dean