shadow

wooden sammy?

anybody know anything about the wooden sammys? and has anyone tried to make one? hope someone knows how i would like to give it a try but i dont know where to start i know there is some weighting issues with getting it to set in the water at the correct angle thanks in advance :yay:

Well, I think there is a japanese site on which one of the premier japanese designers had posted a template for a wooden Sammy, and I think Blackjack may have brought it to the attention to TU members. Maybe he still has the URL or the diagram? Think it disappeared during the TU site crash awhile back.

Bob P is correct!! The wooden sammy is a knockoff off the Balsa Pro. It is an inferior bait to the original and in my opinion not worth the money. I have one of the originals and it is thru wire and is a true work of art. The wooden sammy is not even a close second. I got yelled at by some of the regulars here for posting the site where the diagrams were located on Isao Yamaoka's site. He provided the diagram so that anyone could copy the bait. I made a bunch for personal use and for friends. The baits glide side to side much easier than the sammy I will see if I can dig up the site or my drawings

Bob P is correct!! The wooden sammy is a knockoff off the Balsa Pro. It is an inferior bait to the original and in my opinion not worth the money. I have one of the originals and it is thru wire and is a true work of art. The wooden sammy is not even a close second. I got yelled at by some of the regulars here for posting the site where the diagrams were located on Isao Yamaoka's site. He provided the diagram so that anyone could copy the bait. I made a bunch for personal use and for friends. The baits glide side to side much easier than the sammy I will see if I can dig up the site or my drawings

Bob P is usually correct :)

I'm gonna yell at you now, cause I don't have one (ok, i'm not, i'm gonna grin real big) :D I don't understand why you would get yelled at, but we've spoken about that before.

thanks lapala sum lures was the one that i was looking for i was just wondering if anybody had made anything like that before and just how hard was it to weight and get it to set at the correct angle in the water i have made a few and blackjack is correct it does walk very nicely and has a great side to side action and i know how much time it took to get that weight just right to make it walk perfect i have a few of the original lures and the ones i made work just like them i was just wondering if anyone else had tried to tackle this topwater creation also and if they had got it to work correctly? thanks in advance for your input

I could use some help also. This was the first topwater I tried. I bumped the lenght of mine to 4 1/2 ". I beleive they have the wooden sammy at a weight of 9gms? I am allready up to about 16 gms. to get close to what I am looking for...wich I do not understand even thou I am a half inch longer. I am guessing it is a fine line on weight placement. Too far forward the bait glides forever on pause and with the weight too far back you can allmost get the bait to spin 360 deg. Any suggestions ?

You guys are on the right track. The fun of making your own lures is getting it to perform as you want it to, suited to local fish preferences. And it is not to reproduce what commercial lure is doing, well unless that is exactly what u want.

A pencil bait basically does all of the the following, zigzag, glide and side to side leaning. Plus some can be teased to "jump" out of the water just like a spooked baitfish.

Zigzag and glide would depend on lure shape (especially the underbody rocker) and weight placement. To easily recognize the characteristic action the lure will do; observe the angle it is sitting in the water at rest. Higher angles, tighter shorter zig-zag, less more glide. What we want is a balance btw the glide and zig-zag.

Side to side lean can be enhanced with a movable (sideways) close-to-mid counter-balance weight placement.

Just keep on tweaking until u get ur perfect combination. Good lure making.