TU Member
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


hazmail last won the day on December 18 2017

hazmail had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

155 Excellent

About hazmail

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 10/20/1949

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo

Profile Information

  • Location
    Canberra -- Australia
  1. copy machine

    Mk1 Sorry Greg no plans but here are 3 versions of one I have been playing with for about 3 years. Version 4 was completed about 2 months back, I will get a picture tomorrow. Meanwhile check this one out, beautifully built but a bit noisy ---and NO GUARDS !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcrr3pJZBk Got me wondering weather Redg8R 's machine ever got built, he was on the right track. Mk 2 Mk3
  2. How to find center on a round dowel?

    That's a very cunning method Dave-- I have done similar in my metal lathe a few times and as you say it's pretty accurate. Pete
  3. How to find center on a round dowel?

    -- In times past isolation may have had something to do with it Pete. Today it's probably boredom. I made that one about 10 years ago and still comes in handy. Travis, that's a beauty too. Pete
  4. How to find center on a round dowel?

    For round or square, easy to make out of Al angle and very handy. Pete
  5. Debris In Topcoat

    DoubleT--I think you will find Denatured alcohol has about 5% water in it, water is a big no no with epoxy ----straight 100% alcohol works pretty good though. Pete
  6. Brush Tip

    Will do Wayne, good thinking and thanks for posting. Pete
  7. Physics of vibration and motion

    Froggerbass Yep, like Mark says, Dave will tell you (lip surfaces) it's all related to vortices, he's all over this stuff. Pete
  8. Australian lures

    Q----'' Did you ever get that whole upside down thing figured out? And the driving on the wrong side of the road? '' Funny thing is Mark, we seem to have gotten used to it . But when I have hired a car over there or in Sweden, I have had a few problems with direction and which side is up (North) etc - It doesn't take long to get used to it though ---BUT then we come home and have to go through re-calibrating the compass all over again . Have a great Xmas/ New Year all Pete
  9. Thanks and have a good Xmas folks

    Me too ---- to everyone here and there , have a great Xmas and New Year $ be safe. Pete
  10. Australian lures

    Yeah still at it Woodie, always ''tinkering'', ---------sometimes it drives me crazy when something doesn't work-- I finally built a copy lathe to save some time , it's only taken me 2 years so far !!!!!! Still ''Tweaking '' it . Pete
  11. gold and silver paint

    Sorry I should add these are made with ''metallic leaf'' (Aluminum) as opposed to real gold / silver leaf. I don't think I could afford to throw it around like the metallic stuff . Pete
  12. gold and silver paint

    Tried most paints and have come to the same conclusion as ''Anglinarcher'', gold / silver leaf is the way to go, for me it has a very natural sheen, not overly glossy- I have spent months / years even, trying to work out the best / appropriate finish for ''leaf'' in a water environment and it has come down to (again ) EPOXY seems to win hands down, most other finishes come up well but don't stick like resins, in the long term . Here is some examples, 3'' to 4'' 3'' body dark ''Rainbow'' 3.5'' body w / silver leaf pressure line 3.5'' body--copper/silver 4'' body- Silver /Red & Brown Trout Pete
  13. Australian lures

    Hey Jonister, Just a warning--watch out for the cheap copies of ''Stump Jumpers'', OR ''Down Under - Boomerangs'' some made in China @ about $10. I have a couple here (plastic), if you want a wooden original "S/Jumper" / '' Boomerangs'' etc, they sell in the 100's even 1000 of $'s. BUT there are plenty of other brand named or hobby makers here who make so called ''Cod Lures''- Most are horizontally very wide, and shallow in depth which gives them stability and a very wide action, all seem to have to have a very large lip, preferably made of aluminum, not so much poly carbonate, and most are deep divers, from about 15' to 30' (claimed) -- Here are some examples of 'Power Lures", very nice lures and very fish-able/ collectable today, some @ about 6"-8" total length. http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/power-lures_topic6261.html Here is a great site with just about all Australian lures ever made (historical and modern day) including current "Power Lures", just scroll down, it's alphabetical. https://www.lurehuboz.com/aus-o---q.php AND the whole story of ''Stump Jumper" for you - https://www.lurehuboz.com/jjs.php Pete
  14. temporairly glueing balsa for 2 piece baits

    Hi Todd--I haven't made a balsa lure for years BUT I have made many 2 piece lures out of harder timbers here-- You just use ''double sided tape'' and press the 2 parts together, don't tape the whole piece just use a few small tabs here and there and then you will be able to prize them apart easily (heating it just makes it easier), the tape will just roll off when you have them separated. Pete

    Well said Skeeter Here on TU is where I moved into 21st century lure building. Pete