SmokeyJ

Tips on Making a Rat-L-Trap style lipless crank

Just joined the site, been prowling it for a couple weeks now. I tried using the search but couldn't find any info on how to make a rattling vibrating lipless crank, like a rat-l-trap or a lucky craft LV 500. Are these difficult to make? Where can you get patterns for them? If anyone knows of a website with a tutorial or something on making them, that would be awesome.

Also, since I am new to this, what are some easier style lures to start out with? Are poppers or prop-baits difficult? Also, does anyone sell the wobble plates jor jitterbug style topwaters? I know, a lot of questions, but any help on any of them would be greatly appreciated.

I've read a few comments on the board about wooden lipless cranks, you might do a search and see if a thread on it still exists. There are of course lots of sources for plastic unpainted lipless cranks if that's what you're after. staminainc.com, Jann's Netcraft are two. Topwaters are a good place to start since you don't have to worry about lips, lip angles, etc. Check out some of the tutorials and you'll find lots of "how to do it" information.

Well, I have some ideas on how I might make a trap style bait (when I get to that point), just thought I'd see if anyone had a proven method already. I think I will start off with some simpler topwaters. After I get a few under my belt, this Daiwa popper-prop combo looks pretty cool, although I would have to probably make the prop myself for one that small.

The Daiwa Mouthwasher is a cool bait but it has a lot of things going on with it that would make it a very tough first build. If you are going to build a topwater you might get a little more satisfaction making a Torpedo or Pop-R type bait. These types of baits are a little more forgiving when it comes to weighting and weight placement. Good luck with what ever you try and I hope you catch the fever like most of us have.

Oh, I definitely wasn't going to try the mouthwasher first. I am going to do some basic poppers and basic prop-baits first, and then try my hand at a mouthwasher clone. I think I might just buy one to work off of. Heck, I was even thinking about buying a rat-l-trap and cutting it in half to see the positioning of the rattles and interior supports, etc.

I just posted some pics of some lipless cranks I've been working on this summer in the Hardbait gallery if you're interested. They're not exactly Traps, but same principal. They're larger Pike & Musky size, 4 - 8 inches approx.

Lipless cranks are one of my favorites (obviously) because they're so versatile. Can crank, twitch, rip, troll & jig them. I kinda tried to design each one a little different for different applications. Some are floaters for shallow presentations, some sinkers for deep fishing & jigging. A couple have the eyelets near the nose like a Musky jerk bait. Some about 1/3 of the way back like a traditional trap. Some with more than one eyelet at different locations for different depth, actions etc... Maybe it'll give you some ideas to try. I'm still learning myself, but I can tell you what little I know.

The first ones I made I got the pattern from:

http://www.lurebuilding.nl/indexeng.html

I started out making rat-L-traps and have come a long way since my first ones. I make them out of Popular. I cut the general shape i want then cut the bait in half lengthwise. Then i hollow out 2 cavities on each half, one for the weight and the second for the steel shot. I make one of the cavities almost the size of the bait got give the shot a lot of rattle. The cavities for the shot, i coat with epoxy, gives it a nice, loud sound. After you have the weight and shot in, glue the 2 halves together and finish shaping the lure. You can also make rattles out of copper tubing, but i find that the coat of epoxy is a little louder, and easier. Hope that helps some.

Yeah, that was kind of what I had in mind myself, only difference being I was thinking about lining the cavity with aluminum (from a soda can probably) and I was thinking about cutting mine from PVC. Of course, if it was made from plastic anyways, maybe I wouldn't need the aluminum. I was also going to experiment with different materials for the rattles including glass and brass beads as well as stainless.

Actually, what I was thinking about using is PVC brick moulding. It's pretty thick and should do pretty well (I've had experience with it from doing some construction work). You can't usually find it at lowe's or home depot, you usually have to find a local builder's supply store. Try asking anyone you may know in construction where they get their stuff. Even though you have to get it there, it isn't terribly expensive. Just make sure its solid pvc or expanded core, not hollow (I know, its pretty obvious, but it wouldn't be hard to make that mistake). Solid PVC is really hard to find, but the expanded pvc core (kind of like hard foam) moulding shouldn't be a problem, and is actually much easier to cut and shape. May just have to seal the expanded core stuff whereas with the solid you wouldn't really have to worry about it.

Lazaro posted a nice design back in February, check it out.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8083&highlight=rattle

Yeah, I saw that, looked pretty good. Not to keen on working with resins, making molds, etc, but might try to adopt his rattle can and wire-through design to a hand carved lure.