Wakebait material

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SwimbaitJoe

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

I was wondering if anybody could reccomend a nice dense wood, that will be reasonably heavy while giving off a loud clack when the joints hit together.

#2 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts
Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'm not so sure that the material will make much diference to the 'clack' as it will have a paint finish (epoxy etc). But it does open up a few ideas. A couple of small steel balls with a drilled out hollow chambers behind them, aligned to contact, might give an interesting result.

It may be simpler and tidier to install a purpose built rattle to achieve the same. I do think that sound is important as it travels something like ten times more efficienlty through water.

#3 benton B

benton B

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

All of the hard woods will give off a louder sound than a soft wood. I find cedar has a much louder sound than balsa and poplar is louder than the cedar. The joints banging together will be much louder than a installed rattle.

#4 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

I've used balsa, paulownia and basswood. I think paulownia or basswood is better and both clack louder than balsa. You do run into a durability problem with body segments whacking each other repeatedly. I usually put extra epoxy at the touch points but that's a temporary fix at best. I haven't come up with a reasonable fix (i.e., one that doesn't add lots of weight or work) and maybe you just have to accept that and touch up the segments occasionally.

#5 bdhaeh

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:00 PM

Poplar makes a pretty good clack, but that ball bearing idea is very interesting. It would really cut down on joint fatigue and make a unique noise. Great Idea!!