VANNDALIZER

making the switch

9 posts in this topic

VANNDALIZER    2

I want to make the switch to laquer base paint. I need a variety of colors and clear. Any suggestions? Has anyone used Wasco's laquer based paints? They seem sort of expensive. Thanks, MAV

You might want to try getting some solvent based pigments and mix your own paints. The specialty paint store in my town gave me 4 oz. of every color of pigment they had. I bought some 4oz. leak proof HDPE bottles and they worked great. Then get a quart of quality clear lacquer paint and mix what ever you want.

I have enough pigments to paint 5000+ crankbaits.

I didn't ask to get it free, they just gave it to me.

VANNDALIZER    2

Thanks for the info. I will look around locally and see what I can find.

I did see where wasco claims that there water base dries almost as quickly as solvent base. I may try it to see if there statement is true.

Thanks, MAV

KcDano    0

Find a body shop/car dealership in your area and ask them about their excess paint, most likely this will be of the basecoat/clearcoat variety. Which you can thin the basecoat colors with lacquer thinner, urethane clear and lacquer clear will topcoat these base coat colors nicely! It is imperative that you use a respirator while shooting basecoat and do so in a well ventilated area, if not a booth of some such. Free Paint!

benton B    18

Mav, that statement is pretty close. I hit my baits with a hair dryer for about 10 secs just make sure. Wildlife colors is also a very very good water based paint.

Striker1    10

I use laquer paints from Jans Netcraft. Price is resonable, but color selection is limited. Also use Testors in the botttles. It seems to work better with accetone for thinner over laquer thinner.