pikeman1

mold modifications

I have a do-it ultra spinner jig mold for making spinnnerbaits. It has a 1/4 3/8 and a 1/2oz size in it. In the 3/8oz spot it calls for a 3 or 4/0 hook and .040 wire, and the 1/2 oz spot calls for a 4 or 5/0 hook and a .040 size wire. I was wondering if i can use a biggger hook and biggger wire in the mold or will I have to modifiy the holes for them? It seems like the .045 size wire still fit in it and closes. I would like the 3/8 oz to have a 5/0 hook and .040-.045 wire and the 1/2oz to maybe even have a 5- 6/0 hook and a .045-.051 wire. I use these spinnnerbaits mainly for pike and that is the weight I like to use with the twist eye wire. I also noticed that the hooks are kind of loose in the mold when it is closed, is that the way it is supposed to be? Just trying to get things right before I try my first pour. I was also thinking of making the 1/4 oz spot larger since I don't use that size for anything. If I take a dremel to it will I have to make sure I take exact amounts off each half? Thanks for all the help.

You will have to try it to find out for sure. If the sides close tightly (no light showing thru when held up) should work. Aluminum molds are easy to modify, just be careful to take a little at a time. I bought an ultra minnow jig mold the first year they came out. I modified it to make spinnerbaits up to 5/8 oz. Part of the fun is modifying the molds to suit your ideas. Good luck.

Tony

Tony is dead on with this one. I too got the Ultra Minnow mold just after release and found that even though they specified a certain wire and hook size, even the largest was loose when technically it should have been tight. This is good in the event you do want to go bigger with the components, and if you stick with the recommended sizes the worst that can happen is you will have some excess to trim off around the hook shank.

One thing that drove me crazy on this mold was an incomplete pour right at the tip of the nose of the bait. Had to file vents in this area to get the 1/2oz to pour out completely. For the 3/8oz, I just made a silicone mold and spin cast it now, perfect every time.

The only problem I see with that is that the ultra spinner mold has a thin head. With a bigger hook, you're going to have a bigger eye. You're going to have more bad pours where the lead doesn't fill around the hook eye completely. If you don't mind having to pour a lot more for the same amount of baits, then do it. They definitely could use bigger hooks than the mold calls for.

I am using old style Mustad spinnerbait hooks, and up size all of them, 2/0 for 1/8 oz head, 3/0 for 1/4 oz head, etc. etc. I use tire weights and the only size I have a problem with is the 1/8 oz. I had to open up the mold where the skirt collar would go for it to pour right. No other problems.