LaPala

Guess the Lure

KcDano,

Yes it is an early Jim Pfeffer, believed to be his first bait, carved in the mid to late 1920s. It is also believed to be the origin of his famous "Orlando Shiner" paint scheme.

However, it is not a bluegill, but a sunfish. Close enough, I'll give it to you.

JSC,

Good eye! The Nip-I-Diddee 910 SH was definitely an attempt to create a mass-market version of the Pfeffer Orlando Shiner. However, South Bend was not the first to "borrow" the shiner paint scheme. Several Orlando area makers primary lure was the Orlando Shiner, which was a variation of Pfeffer's.

The South Bend adaptation was used on the the Diddee family along with the Bass Oreno. This paint scheme became known as the Spotted Ape and was used by several major makers, including:

Heddon (Lucky 13)

Arbogast (Jitterbug)

Smithwick

Boone

York/Rhoden

and some guy named Mallard

You're up KcDano

I have sold a lot of the "Nip-I-Didde" .. "Spotted Ape" I would say that in my territory of NWF and Extreme S Central AL that 75 % of my "Nip-I-Didde" sales were the "Spotted Ape" some did reference it as "Shad" (never could see a shad in that color combo) as the SH was listed as Shad Color. :)

OK ... U R up again KC :yay:

JSC

B)

I will be the first to admit, I didn't know the name of the bait. However, I was confident it was a early pfeffer bait. If it is, in fact, a sunfish several collector sites could benefit from a clarification.

I will post one here in awhile, have to locate and take a picture

Here you go!

guessit001.jpg

Edited by KcDano