ChadK

One sided or two

Welcome to TU...

One side mold has the detail on one side, like picture below. This mold you would pour the bait all throughout the cavity. Once the mold is filled it will have one flat side. I have seen some guys so good at pouring a one sided mold that it looks like a two sided mold.

craw.JPG

Two sided mold has detail on both sides, like picture below. Once the mold is closed up you pour through the top and the plastic will fill the cavity having detail on both sides. Usually these are more expensive because there is more material, machine time, and set-up time for the machinst.

3%20in%20stik.JPG

Pretty much. However, there are some exceptions. For example, a zoom trick worm. One side of that worm is flat but its made out of a two piece injection mold.

If you really wanted, you could get a one piece mold (pic below), save some money and accomplish the same thing. Ghostbaits sent me some trick worms from a mold like this. I had to do a triple take to see if they were a one piece or two piece. Through good pouring skills he almost replicated a flat mound on the one side the same way you would see it on a two piece mold.

image.php?productid=16450

Majority of the baits you find on the shelf at stores are two piece mold because they are injecting with plastic under pressure. For them its to time consuming and not cost effective to pour 1 bait at a time.

One the other hand, there selection is often limited. This is where TU members come in. We can make any color, add different scents, change glitter, salt or no salt, float bubbles, and the list goes on and on. Hope that sheds some light....Jeff

Like Jeff said it will almost always have a flat side, unless you over pour it, however you will never get the detail on the back side of a 1 piece mold like whats on the bottom side.

The piece version I made was due to shaky heads became so popular, its a full round worm completely different than the trick worm or any other worm. it also has more action due to the full round on the back tail being thick.

http://www.del-mart.com/shop/product.php?productid=16785&cat=0&page=1&featured

Also on a 2 piece mold they don't need to be injected. the ones made by me bobby and a few other guys are made for hand pouring

Rumor Has it some big bait manufacturer just came out with this design 2 weeks ago. one of my customers was telling me.

There was no reason to make a 2 piece worm mold with a flat side on the link you posted as the price is a major factor just to get the same results as a one sided mold.

And no one laugh at my pinkish color cause that was the best color on the lakes and still is here in az, heck I even got checks with that color.

Note: You can make a laminate or 2nd pour bait using a one pc. mold.

I do it with the Beaver body alum. mold.

Pour the first layer - tail and body; pull the cooled lure out, pour the second layer (minus the tail) and shove the cooled body into the hot plastic. Let cool and take a small soldering iron around the seam. You can determine the thickness of the body by the depth of the first pour. Not much different than pouring any laminate.

You can do that also, you are only limited to what your creativity is. I have even taken a 1 piece mold, and made it a two piece injection mold to speed things up. In the example below I could do 6 craws in 30 seconds and they came out perfect everytime. When I hand poured them it would take 30 seconds for each craw and sometimes I would over pour the claws. However, I shake like a leaf on a windy day...:lol:

TU1.JPG

Dang! Thanks guys for the explinations. I think I at least understand the difference between one sided or two. But is injection something a "regular Joe" would do in his garage. This sounds like something more for commercial use and some expensive equipment.

Like most of the Newbee post's I've read on here, I'd just like to start with a stick bait and have 2 or 3 other shapes that it sure would be nice if i could make myself. Mostly for personal use.

So would one of the "kits" from Del-Mart" get me started?? What else do I need.?? A microwave and a couple of pirex measuring cups?? The kits come with instructions?? Can this be done in your garage??? What about storing your plastic in a non-climate controlled environment?

I havent seen anybody ask about melting down commercial plastics for re-use yet.

chad,

Del's kit is an excellent place to start. I think most of us started there. You may want to get some more dyes and flakes depending on what you typically fish. I'd start with a microwave and one or two pyrex cups. I don't think the kit comes with directions but there are directions written out on Del's website. It can be done in the garage. Depending on where you live it may be a little tough in the winter due to the cold temperatures. My plastic is stored in my basement. I believe the storage question has been discussed in the past (you may want to do a search for it).

Most people say don't melt down commercial plastics. You don't know what's in them and most of them smoke a lot when heated. I know a lot of people start by melting down old baits until they get their plastic in the mail though. You may want to search for this one too and see what other people have said about it.

Hope that will help you get started.

Eric

I agree, Dels kit is probably the best thing out there for guys just starting out. He did a great job at making sure you get everything to get started. All you have to do is pick up:

1. Cheap microwave or a used one. I did a hand me down from the house. Bought new one for house and took used one and put it in garage.

2. Rods to stir the plastic with.

3. 2 cup Pyrex or Anchor Cup

4. Safety Glasses (optionalfor some).

5. Leather Gloves (optional for some).

6. Ventalation or fan.

I hope to get my site going with some in depth instructions on making POP molds and pouring this winter. Get the kit now you will be a pro by then. Maybe in a year we will be learning a thing or two from you....Jeff

I started with the 2 cup Anchor measuring cups - but have bought several 1 cup - because it has a narrower spout & is easier to pour with.

Good call on the cup size, especially if you just have a few molds. You can go through 1 cup easier and the spout is much easier to pour out of when starting out.

Pyrex or anchor are both good for the mic.

Jim