clamboni

triple trout repaint

Nice looking lure...........I understand they are good swimmers too.

jed v.

Yeah, I had never seen one in action....I threw it after the 2T cured and it's awesome. You can jerk and pause it while you're reeling and it'll go in a complete circle. Kept hanging the hooks on the line if I jerked it more than a couple times in a row. Had a school of 6 bass follow it right up to me the first cast......they were all smaller than the lure

add a few big glitter scales &a red gill .I think it might be a killer

Must still have the action right?? Guess thats why he bought it from the first place

I have another guy that wants me to paint two of his, he wants some glitter in the topcoat. Kind of nervous about that, never used it before. And it's going to be on a $60 bait.

Read an article about these. Apparently the paint job is the way it is because the guy who makes them, Scott Whitmer, gave some of the lures out with the real simple paintjob as prototypes to some friends and long time customers. They loved the lures so much, as is, that he decided if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Guess they don't all have to have a photo-realistic finish to perform :)

Hey how do you go about rotating these things when you are applying the 2T.Do you take the whole thing apart?

By hand. it sucks. I used hemostats to grip the tail end, there's a hitch hiker like spring in the tail for the plastic to screw onto. Hung it from a hook I bent out of wire and nailed into the side of my workbench with a BB swivel and duo-lock snap. Then, I nailed another wire hook into the bench at the right distance so I could hook the hemostats onto it. That way held the bait horizontal, and I just hung it by the line tie or hemostats to hold it vertically. Sucked, had to babysit it for a half hour and turn it every minute or so. Every time I held it to turn it, I had to get another hook I bent to grab the line tie with to hold the bait apart.

I was trying to come up with something to hold it securely and straight for the whole process so I could turn it on a wheel, but I couldn't come up with anything I was sure the edges wouldn't touch each other. Taking them apart is an option, but they're held together by pins that are epoxied in ane this is a $60 lure.....when you can find it.

Someone in an earlier thread (sorry, can't remember who) mentioned using a hacksaw frame to hold jointed lures for painting. Run wire from the ends of the bait to the two hookups and tighten it down to hold it straight. Don't know how you would mount it to a wheel, but there are some creative people here and I am sure someone could come up with something.

That's similar to what I was thinking, it never occured to me to use a hacksaw. I think I would have a way to get it on a wheel, too. Would just take some modification and clamps.

Anyway, here's a couple more. The top one in this pic had trout spots all over it, that's what you see along the belly of it. Couldn't do anything about it, he didn't want it sanded before paint in case he didn't like it. And the glare near the spot isn't anything. I panicked when I saw the pic but I can't see anything in the topcoat.

DSC00970.jpg

There's another one in this pic, with a bunch of jerkbaits, too.

DSC00939.jpg