grinder

Discarded chairs

My neighbor has thrown out some old dining room chairs for garbage pick up. There are lots of turned legs and spindles etc, most likely cherry or stained birch. Seems like a waste to not try and fabricate something from this free material. Is there potential for any lures here?

That sounds like a good idea. If you have access to accurate scales, it could be worth doing a density test to see what it is that you have.

http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/woods.htm

This link is the most comprehensive list of wood densities that I have found yet.

Cut off a chunk of a shape that you can measure and work out the volume in centimetre cubes. Wieght the piece in grams.

Divide the weight by the volume and compare the answer to the chart.

This will give a rough guide, further web searches on the likely candidates should reveal colour and grain.

The density value will also give a clue as to how much ballast you will be able to add and how much action you could expect.

Birch i really like for topwater plugs and poppers, i can't find a use for heavier cherrywood, i tried to make a barely floating jointed swimbait out of heavier wood and it sank after hours of work ! I recommend cutting pieces to a rough size then float testing it in water before you put too much work into it..

Go ahead & save all material you can Grinder often its the simple ways that gives you the best lures .I´ve made baits of almost anything i can think of, like chromed pipes cut them 45 degree angle drill hole in each end fill cavity with concrete or something & you got a simple spoon with flash from chrome