Javelin

Painting Heads

I can tell you that 2 part Component Systems epoxy is messy, requires toxic MEK thinner, doesn't suspend glitter evenly, working and set times are affected by weather, and I can no longer find color pigments for it. The finish is fairly even and glossy but at least two coats are needed for minimal chip resistance. Brush cleaning is tricky and I use a triple thinner rinse to get most of the pain out of the bristles.

Are you considering changing because you're having problems with the powder? Or just to try something different. Once you figure out the powder, IMO it's the best for jigheads without detail in them. Unless you want to airbrush, but you said hand brushing. I also airbrush other lures, but for jigs, powder all the way.

Javelin,

I'll have to agree with clamboni. I powder paint all my jigs without any problems. I also have jigs with (5) colors of powder that are all blended in. You can't beat powder paint for jigs, unless you want a lot of detail, like clamboni said. Also on powder jigs, you can also put on gill rakers, eyes and stripes. So why would you want to hand paint?