Guest Anonymous

Fish Eye Question

Chip,

I've been doin 3d eyes by using a paper hole puncher and a piece of prism tape. Prism tapes come in any color and can be found in almost any automotive department.

using the hole punch I'll pop out a few circles then put a black dot in the center of them with a qtip dipped in black paint. When they are dry, I mix some clear epoxy with as few bubbles as possible. Then I use a toothpick to pick up a drop of epoxy to drop onto the prism tape.

Without any bubbles in the epoxy they look just like the ones you buy :wink:

Guest Anonymous

:D

Thanks for the ideas. I sometimes buy glass, plastic or holographic molded eyes. I also nail dip em which looks good on some baits.

I will try the tape ideas you mention. Eyes can make or break a lure.

I finished my Pine Shad Crank last night. I will post it this evening. I nail dipped the eyes. They look good but want to explore a few other options.

Hey...You can catch me here talking lures most evenings:

http://www.probass.com/chat/chat.php

Later Guys

Chip, I also do all of the above with tapes, hole punch and leather punches. On my latest bunch of lures I've used modified plastic "rhinestone" beads on top of the created flat eye for a nice 3-D eye. It takes a few slightly tedious minutes, but I think the results are worth it--I buy the beads at The Great Big Devcon Store in the craft section, faceted on top, flat & shiny on the bottom. What you do is round-off the faceted side, or top, and and remove the shiny from the bottom. So far, I've found that a #320 sanding sponge works the best for this. Then I polish them with a finer grade just a bit and finish them with some fine rubbing compound or metal polish. I've also used a buffing wheel but ya gotta have a clean landing area. And people may comment about your polished nails :oops: Hey and you have choices of eye colors, though I find myself using mostly the red and amber rhinestones. normally I clear-coat over the eyes, but not always.

Dean

I use the little doll eyes from Walmart. I just drill our a little opening in the bait and glue the eye in it. The dot in the middle moves around and give it a very faint rattle. You can buy a bag very cheap and there are alot of eyes in it. I dont put them in all the way so they stick up just a bit.

Just a thought for ya.

Conman