SGriff

Cleaning Clear Lips on Cranks???

I have several older crankbaits that I have used on and off over the years. Some of them I haven't used in some time and I had left them in a tackle box where the hooks began to rust and over time the clear bills (like the ones on an older Bomber model A ) have kinda yellowed. How can I restore the bills to their clear finish?

I have polished many older yellowed lips like this beginning with about 600 grit and using progressively finer polishing pads or cloths to 4000 or 6000 grit and finishing with a dremel, utilizing the little felt and cotton flap type wheels with a little very fine polishing compound. It takes a little practice, too. The good news is, is this will dramatically improve the appearance of old lips. The bad news is that it won't completely remove the yellowing; however it will be far less noticeable. The rough lip edges and wear scarring on old Bagley lures will turn amber/brown with age and will look 99% better with polishing. I haven't seen any lure lip that can be turned from yellow or amber back to original clear though.

Dean