jimmie7915

help with flip flop paint

Hi guys hows it going.Just wanted to take a minute and say that this site is great I have learned a ton from this place.Keep up the great work.

Now for my question.I am working on a tilapia swimbait and I am trying to get somewhat of a green to purple flip flop effect on the back.Ive tried and tried and cant seem to get it right.I have this paint called faschange purple,it is a milky looking white color with hints of purple in it.If I spray it over the green I either get a solid purple or solid green I cant seem to get it to flip flop!

If anyone on here could help I would be really greatful thank you!

A little iridescent paint goes a long way, I had to learn this. If you just mist a shot iridescent purple over the green the purple will show in the sunlight. I have used some of the true flip/flop paint from Smith paint but I didn't really care for it. I found the colors just seem to blend together too much.

One thing you might try (keep in mind I am not familiar with flip flop paint) is mixing a little hi-lite powder in your top coat. Hi-lite powder can be purchased from any of the places that sell the soft plastic stuff. I will mix just a tad of the purple and green in my devcon when I coat my bluegill bait. If you don't use much, it is very subtle and really makes the bait pop when you rotate it in the sun. The only problem, is you get it over the entire bait. However, I'm gonna try to mix some in a small batch of thinned Devcon and just brush it on where I need it and then top coat with plain Devcon and see how that works. One thing worth mentioning though, the darker the background color, the more the powder stands out, but can add a really cool look of irredesence to your bait.