pikeman1

spinnerbait painting help

I need to know the easiest and least expensive way to paint spinnerbaits without a spray gun. Should I use powder or vinyl? If I use powder how do I dip a big spinnerbait in the tiny container they come in? Then I guess I got to have a way to cure it. Then do I top coat it after I put the eyes on?

Or should I just use the vinyl spray in the can, then put on the eyes and topcoat with devcon epoxy.

Powder paint, the only way to go. Cadman is an expert at multi-coloring using powder paint and will help you when you are ready to take that step, but first . . . get the basics down.

A fluid bed is excellent for powder coating spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I use a 3" cup for this. If you are not ready to spend the money on a fluid bed, then borrow a bowl from the kitchen, pour your powder paint into it, fluff it and you are ready to start.

You will need a heat source to heat the lead. Many use a heat gun, myself I prefer propane. Only heat the lead portion of the bait, not the wireform or the hook. Heating it evenly is important. You will have to experiment to get the right amount of time to heat the lead. Too long and you have melted lead, not long enough and the powder will not stick. Now dip it quickly into the bowl of powder and shake it gently, remove quickly from the bowl and tap the hook on the side of the bowl several times to remove any excess powder. If your heat is correct, the paint should melt and flow before your eyes. If it does not, and appears dry, just pass it through the heat source back and forth until it flows.

To cure the powder paint, it must be baked. Each color has a prescribed time limit and temperature to bake at. Many use a toaster oven for this task. DO NOT USE YOUR KITCHEN OVEN !!!

Once cured and cooled you can put your eyes on. I use cheap old clear fingernail polish to seal them but many do use and epoxy as well.

Now I know what I have just written is probably crystal cloudy clear to you. To help you along even better, go to www.tjstackle.com and view the videos Benjamin has made on this subject. Nothing short of excellent and you will learn and understand all of the above much better. He also sells the fluid beds and powder paint very reasonable.

Good luck and I hope I was of some help.

Why?

I don't want to hi-jack your post George, but I thought that this needed immediate attention. By the way thanks for the compliment George.

LooksLikeSinbad, you don't want to put anthing with lead or powder paint fumes, into anything that you cook your family food in, unless it's an extra oven that is not used for anything else. Just for health reasons, in case the oven gets too hot and melts the lead or burns the paint. You can never be too careful when it comes to handling lead.