thatjohnkid

Cabela's Rod Building Kits

Has anyone built rods using any of the Cabela's rod building kits? I'm thinking about asking for one for Christmas. I've never built a rod before. Do I need much more than whats included in these kits? I've always liked making/building things. Don't wanna invest to much money into rod building until I know if I'm going to like it/can do it.

These where the 2 kits I was looking at:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0043070319538a&navCount=5&podId=0043070&parentId=cat20364&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20364&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20364&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0017244316458a&navCount=7&podId=0017244&parentId=cat20364&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20364&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20364&hasJS=true

Thanks

You may want to check out Mudhole.com and Hookhack.com. Both sell pre-made kits that are little better quality than those your looking at. You can also contact a supplier or custom builder and have them piece one together for with a little better components for not too much more money. Cabelas higher end blanks are nice and they sell a nice array of components but you could do better than whats in those particular kits.

don't be fooled by the IM7 graphite tag. It isn't necessarily a better quality than some IM6 graphite.

Not really it just take a little effort to find examples of you will need on various websites. You can build a wrapper out of a heavy cardboard box with V's cut in it. A thread tensioner can be made using a coffee cup and a heavy book. You might want to consider buying some extra thread finish (threadmaster or flexcoat) because the amount that comes with the kit usually isn't enough.

If you got some extra cash, buy Cabelas rod tying kit with a wrapper, drying motor and racks. Or buy them separately.

A box will work, rotating the rod after flexcoating w/ a timer works, but if you're realy interested in getting into the hobby, either buy or build a wrapper yourself.