mikel7@mac.com

Spinnerbait Tools

If you're making r-bend spinnerbaits, The only tools you really NEED are a pot, mold, ladle (obviously) and a pair of needle nose pliers with wire cutter. But you might want to get split ring pliers, wire bender, small files, and gate cutters. With those tools, you'll be able to dy everything you need to quickly.

You can make a wire bender easily by putting two small nails close together in a block of wood and cutting them to about 1/4"

I personally don't like the gate cutters, it's quicker, but I get a cleaner break from the sprue by bending it til it breaks off. Then I just scratch the lead with my thumbnail until it's smooth

I've Been Thinking Of Making Spinner Baits This Winter. I Would Like To Have An Idiea Of The Tools I Will Need. When I Start Somthing Like This I Always Buy Stuff That Doesn't Work Or Stuff I Don't Need. I Know You Guys Help Will Put Me On The Right Track.

If you are first starting out, I would suggest buying your spinner bait wire forms. It is a whole lot easier, than trying to bend them, and getting them all the same. The cost is worth it. Once you buy those, now you can concentrate on how to do the rest. Just go slow and take your time.

If you are first starting out, I would suggest buying your spinner bait wire forms. It is a whole lot easier, than trying to bend them, and getting them all the same. The cost is worth it. Once you buy those, now you can concentrate on how to do the rest. Just go slow and take your time.

Forgot to mention them.....I bend my own so I can use a bottom pour pot more easily.

If you are going to pour your own you'll need a melter and ladle, and as cadman said, try using pre bent wire forms at first, after you have a melter and ladle I'd suggest a good pair of round nose pliers, they're similar to a needle nose except they have 2 round jaws that are smooth, these are essential to getting a consistant loop for the swivel and blade.

Let me take up where they left off. Make a decision what kind of paint you will use, which will depend on how many spinnerbaits you plan to build. You may decide to buy pre formed painted heads. Also you will need skirts, either already made, or buy silicone strips, collars, and some sort of collar expander. These usually come with instructions. Check out Jann's Netcraft, Barlow's, etc. catalogs for ideas on blades, spacing, beads, swivels, etc. etc. also read up on this site. Very, VERY helpful. Good luck.