Ogajiga

Bottom Pour Melters

Some of you seem to be well pleased with Lee pots and the archives suggest that the commercial guys are using RCBS? My small lead head needs are modest at present - a few 100s 1/16 - 1/4 per pour although that may change when I offer custom designs. Any recommendations and what features & advantages justify paying a higher price ?

I have 2 Lee pots. I've never had any problems with them. I also have heard a lot of good things about the RCBS pots. I have never owned one, and I would like to. But at this time the cost is prohibitive. Depending on how much you are going to pour, would make you choose on which one to buy. I will tell you one thing, you can't beat a bottom pouring pot. Once you get it, you will ask youself, why have I not bought this before.

I have two RCBS pots and the only complaint I have is the occasional drip that is somtimes hard to stop. I think the advantage to an RCBS over a Lee is, like Pickerel Pete said, the amount of working room is much greater. The amount of lead in the pot is also an advantage when pouring large amounts, mostly in time savings of refilling and having to wait for the lead to get back up to temperature to pour. If you have visions of expanding in the future, get an RCBS, it will be a good investment. Since I started spin casting several years ago, mine don't get the use they used to, but are there for me when I have the need.

RCBS stands for "Rock Chuck Bullet Swag". Goes back to the original design that a varmint shooter had for reloading bullets. I also have two Lee pots and very little complaints. Occassionally you do get a drip from the spout, but when it happens I drain the pot into ingot molds, clean the inside of the pot and spout with small wire brush and drill bit, refill, and its back to business. Usually have to do that about once a month when I'm pouring a lot. It helps to keep all of the slag dipped off the top, but when I have a lot to pour I sometimes neglect doing that for a little too long and thats when I get a drip. Go figure.