JeffG

Painting plastics - airbrush -need some help

I would skip the painting if your making them for yourself, I really cant see scales being the reason anybait is gonna get bit, I know we are all in this to make cool looking custom baits and to get details and other custom stuff you just dont find in mass produced baits but realistcally does it really matter with a bait that is constantly moving? The scales and finish on those baits are more for the fisherman than the fish. I would worry more about getting the action and profile right with a bait like this than anything. Dipping with the wrong strength of plastic or getting the plastic to thick and the tail action being off is gonna effect your catch rate more than anything!

Createx won't work as it can't stick to the plastic. Sharpies work but will bleed after a short time just like the dye pens for baits do.

LC's paint is good but seems to dry up and is tough to shoot through an airbrush. It needs to be thinned way down.

I am with rr316 on this one. The scales etc are to catch fishermen/women and not necessarily fish. You will get bit on these baits from the action almost irregardless of what is on the bait. They are that good in the water.

Just my 2 cents!!! :-)

Jim

That does work. You can even do it later. Some comes off when you dip though. Putting the powder (blue pearl or highlight) after you dip and before the next dip works good and gives a nice effect. You can also add the flake into the plastic you are dipping into...

Paints are a pain though and most need to be thinned/mixed and shot with MEK from what I am reading. Dealing with that stuff is way worse than plastisol!!!

Jim