blackjack

Eyes on top or on the sides of a bait?

I have been researching alot of different manufacturers both old and new and was wondering what you all thought on the subject of eye placement, I have always placed the eyes on the topside of the lure towards the nose, but have obseved a trend in the small hand made Japanese manufacturers to put the eyes on the side of the bait, to me this makes more sense as if you look at any baitfish, shad, herring, sunfish species they all have one eye on each side of their body, any thoughts or comments welcomed!!

I put 3D eyes in recesses on the side but usually put painted eyes on the top front. Why? Danged if I know. Tradition? You get all kinds of opinions. Some want big 3d eyes on the side because they feel they're an attractant. Some want them on top because they hear bass wait until they can't see the eyes (and can't be seen BY them) before engulfing a prey fish from behind. I've seen a video of bass feeding on shallow shad that suggests that may be true. So much for pseudo science :) Given the opposing opinions, I just stick'em where I think they look best.

I vote for sides, and my reasoning is that if predators don't use eyes as a target or for trajectory, why do so many prey types have false eye spots?

Of course biologist Ralph Manns stated a while back that NO eye is better, giving the impression of a vulnerable, unaware prey....