markp

wanting to get started

Hello I am new to this website but I find the information here is unbelievable. Some of the lures you guys make are out of this world. I am a rod builder who for some time has wanted to tinker with lure making. I would like to make crank baits and glide baits mainly. I love musky and pike fishing. I am wondering where to start? What type of tools will I need? Is there a book or a cd that shows some basic patterns to get started or is just alot of trial and error. Any help would really be appreciated. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thank you

Trail and error is the way a lot of this craft is learned. This site will greatly speed the learning process though. In my opinion there really are not any hard and fast rules. The tools I use most often are a bandsaw, 1" band sander and a dremel tool, but to play around some you could get by with some basic hand tools.

Click on FORUM at the top of the page, then scroll down to the bottom KNOWLEDGE BASE section and click on USER SUBMITTED TUTORIALS. You'll see no entries, so go to the bottom of that page and change the search period to BEGINNING. Now you'll see lots of pertinent tutorials. Kinda awkward to get there, but worth the trip. Enjoy!