Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

was just wondering

#22 LaPala

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

Man that's a lot of lures. I don't think I myself have reach that number of lures yet, even half that might be stretching :)

#23 Vodkaman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts
Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

Your right, on reflection, it is more like two hundred. From last october through to June this year. It occupied my spare time during the Swedish winter. They were all prototypes, testing diferent lips, ballast positions and design ideas. Some nights I might built five or six, others none.

My standard prototype build takes less than 30 minutes, that is from getting my tools out to dipping the sealed (5 min epoxy) lure in the water.

I believe the question arose from a PM that I sent to Swede, in which I outlined my lure building experience. I believe that Swede asked the wrong question, he should have asked, 'how many fish have my lures caught'? The answer would be zero, as I have never actually fished one.

I have made it my hobby to firstly, answer the question, 'how does it work'. Secondly, to develope a lure design diferent to everyone elses. It must look different and swim different. It would probably help if it caught a few fish too, that test will come soon, as will learning to paint.

If you conclude that my actual lack of experience in catching fish disqualifies me from having anything to say on this subject, then you need not read my threads. But consider this, I have probably done more testing of different configurations of lures than most.

The research will continue, the theories may be modified, corrected etc, but I am confident that I will get there in the end. Thanks for all the input from all the posts on TU, a true learning experience.

#24 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

I only build to catch fish and if a lure doesn't, it's just a key fob :) But I appreciate Vodkaman's scientific method (hypothesize, test, evaluate, modify hypothesis). It's really the ONLY way to reliably isolate and describe design factors that matter in crankbait design. I don't have the patience for it but whether I understand and agree or not, it's food for thought. I for one would love to get to the point where we could look at a design and be able to tell through reason (not just instinct and experience) that it will work or not. That would open up a huge design space for all of us to play in.

#25 Whitedog

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

I've only been reading this site a few months but this is the most informative post I've read yet. It answers a lot of questions and explains some of the things that have surprised me in the lures I have built. Thanks to everyone and especially Vodkaman. I have a lot to think about and try.