fisheye56

swim bait hinges

I used heavy braid for my first swimbait taking 3 pieces and further braiding them for extra strength. It seems to work great however be very careful not to get epoxy on it because it tends to allow the braid to break. The action of the bait is amazing much easier to use with multiple joint baits. (I used a similar design to JR however no where near as nice he does amazing work

Thanks for showing us your method JR! I alaways wondered but couldn't visualize it. Great job! Do you have any videos of them swimming? I am curious to see them in action. :popcorn:

Yeah, he does. I look at his website a lot wishing I wasn't a poor college student and he's got a link to it. Here it is...

Video of Trout Swim Bait - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Once again how do you seal it properly so no water gets in?

If you get sealer on the braid it breaks, if you dont, it gets into the wood.

You do get it on the joint, whether wire or braid and the joint flexes it cracks the epoxy still allowing water in.:huh::huh:

Whats the solution

I did some digging, he answers some of those questions at the bottom of http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/10115-2-new-baits-2.html

Sorry John, I felt like a creeper going through all your posts, but I remembered seeing it somewhere!

Cheers, Mike

I read the post, but it sounds like Jr was using an older design pin joint system, not a fabric or braid joint. Would work fine for pinned joints and thats the way i would do it but i can't get my mind around how to do the braided joints.

Maybe I'm just thick?

If using a "modern" joint, just use modern material... i.e. polycarbonate foam or some other non impregnable blank material?