csob3

Health problems caused by Createx pearl/irid. paints?

Has anyone who uses createx pearl paints also been diagnosed with stomach ulcers. I have trying to see if there is a link between the two. I am thinking the small pearls are causing the inflammation of my stomach lining. I am only 24 and think that I am too young to get stomach ulcers for no apparent reason. I eat healthy and don't drink. I think it is the paint or Flex coat...Any input?? Thanks!

hmmm.. this is interesting, I got a ulcer about a year ago and I am 17 and I was useing createx paints for my baits. I don't make cranks anymore but am starting to get into swimbait making and plan on useing createx for

that. I don't remember if I was making baits at the time I got it but there could be a link. Maybe you should research some of the chemicals in the paint and see what turns up.

lung problems? maybe if you are not taking proper Safety precautions. Stomach ulcers? i doubt it unless you are deliberatly ingesting the paint. Even if you did ingest some paint I still doubt it is the cause of your problems. Do some research find out the many causes of ulcers, you'd be suprised.

While I doubt the paint has caused your current health issue it sounds as if you may not be taking all the precautions that one should be.

Did you read the Material Data safety sheet for the paints you are using?

for the solvent?

for the cleaning agents?

Are you wearing the proper personal protective equipment?

Is there adequate ventilation in your spray area?

if not I suggest you start before you pick up your air brush again. Our lives depend upon always doing things the safest way possible.

lung problems? maybe if you are not taking proper Safety precautions. Stomach ulcers? i doubt it unless you are deliberatly ingesting the paint. Even if you did ingest some paint I still doubt it is the cause of your problems. Do some research find out the many causes of ulcers, you'd be suprised.

While I doubt the paint has caused your current health issue it sounds as if you may not be taking all the precautions that one should be.

Did you read the Material Data safety sheet for the paints you are using?

for the solvent?

for the cleaning agents?

Are you wearing the proper personal protective equipment?

Is there adequate ventilation in your spray area?

if not I suggest you start before you pick up your air brush again. Our lives depend upon always doing things the safest way possible.

What he said. The bottle says water based, so it doesn't have the cyanide stuff in it that laquer paints do, but it's not non-toxic by a long shot.

Interesting story, stomach ulcers, there is/was a whole industry built around Bi-car soda and all those degassing products and relief.

about 15 years ago a doctor in Perth (Australia of course) thought it was a virus in the stomach, so he took a dose of the virus to prove it by then giving himself a dose of antibiotic or something. Took him 10 years to convince the Therapeutic Drugs Admin, that there had been a heap of quacks at work for about 200 years. I think he got a Nobel prize for it - he deserved it, how many people do you hear of with ulcers these days compared to 15 years ago?? Pete

We think outside the BOX here !!

Typically, ulcers are caused by a bacteria, not a virus, and that's why antibiotics are effective. They don't help with a virus.

Don't fool around when you're spraying solvent based paints.

Twenty five years ago, I inhaled some Woodlife, a wood sealer and preservative, that I was spraying on wood door jambs before the plasterers started, to keep the water from making the wood swell and warp. The penta-something in the Woodlife got into my bloodstream, and lowered the blood-brain barrier that we all have that protects our brains and spinal cords from the nasties that swim around in our blood. A virus penetrated my spinal cord, and I woke up numb from the bottom of my feet to my, er, water spout. I found out when I went for my morning pee.

I wound up in the hospital, they thought it was MS, finally figured out it was a "transient virus" that had gotten into my spinal column and damaged the nerve lining.

I have permanent nerve damage from it. Although the nerves did regenerate quite a bit, I still have a feeling like my fingers have cotton balls stuck between them. But, for a long time, I couldn't tell what I was holding in my hands without looking. Scary for a carpenter.

My friend was doing custom paint jobs on hoods for a sheet metal shop where he worked. He was using automotive paints for their durability. He didn't wear any kind of protection, wound up with fatal cancer.

Chemicals are nothing to take lightly. And being young doesn't make you immune to their harmful effects.

This rant is really saying, be careful.

Interesting story, stomach ulcers, there is/was a whole industry built around Bi-car soda and all those degassing products and relief.

about 15 years ago a doctor in Perth (Australia of course) thought it was a virus in the stomach, so he took a dose of the virus to prove it by then giving himself a dose of antibiotic or something. Took him 10 years to convince the Therapeutic Drugs Admin, that there had been a heap of quacks at work for about 200 years. I think he got a Nobel prize for it - he deserved it, how many people do you hear of with ulcers these days compared to 15 years ago?? Pete

We think outside the BOX here !!

H. Pylorii is the bacterium. It's the cause of almost ALL stomach ulcers, and antibiotics are the cure. I did a research paper on it in Paramedic school. The bacteria is not the direct cause of the ulcer, it's actually an autoimmune response. The bacteria invades the cells of your stomach lining and your immune system destroys your own cells trying to kill the bacteria. Stress is only a factor once you already have the ulcer.

But to answer your question, the Createx has nothing to do with it.

Ask your doctor about antibiotics that have been proven to cure ulcers.

Same thing goes for Crohn's disease, if anyone has that, ask about macrolides. It's a group of antibiotics that have cured somw people with Crohn's.

I try to provide a bit of air movement when painting with createx but I'm sure it would be better to wear a mask. The thing that bothers me is the clearcoat.....it will make me quite dizzy if I don't wear a mask and have adequate ventilation. I think the clear coats and lead are where the danger is at for us builders.

jed v.

What about not wearing a mask when clear coating with Flex Coat. I did not wear a mask for 15 months but have used a respirator for the past 3 months. Do you think that breathing in vapors from the epoxy have caused the following symptoms that the doctors have yet to diagnose:

Fatigue, Muscle Weakness, Inflammed esophagus, stomach ulcers, dizziness, muscle twitches, headaches...maybe this has to do with my nerves/central nervous system from breathing in too much epoxy?? I need to get this figured out because I have been ill for close to 2 months and I have gone completely broke trying to figure out the problem...I don't want to live with fatigue and muscle weakness and need to figure out my problem...24 is way to young for all this...PLEASE HELP!

For each product you will likely find a web site that outlines all the hazzards and symptoms. Look up the product names and see if they tie in.

I'm real sorry to hear about your health problems. You are right, a 24 year old should not be suffering from such symptoms and would strongly suspect the chemicals that you have been playing with.

Let us know what you find and good luck.

CSOB3,

I seriously doubt your problems are related to Flex Coat or Createx. I read everything there is to read about their toxic makeup, and there barely is any unless you drink it and I don't think you did that. My advice to you is to bite the bullet and go to the Mayo Clinic and get an answer. They are amazing and will find the problem.

Rod

Dr at Mayo says you got M.S. and Pneumonia :eek:, if you are serious about this and not just here looking for a Hypochondriac:nono: go get tested for a 1 in a 1,000,000 disease, cause unless your mainlining this stuff your not getting sick from the paint or the epoxy, I know painters that have been huffing epoxy and paint for 30 years and they have nothing like what you are describing the brains are fried, but they ain't dieing of 15 symptoms, but they all drink pretty heavy so that may be saving them:lol:.

as i understand some of the perls and metalics are made with a ground mica base. mica itself is not so toxic, but it normally is assiciated with asbestose(the harmful type) fibers mixed into the matrix.i think that many of these liquid suspensions are by manufacturers instructions safe when used under such and such conditions(not shot in the basement of a house,use respirator for occasional use, and professional suites under contiuned exposure.) Isocynates in the many platic cataliysts are also not good!